Welcome to Special Educational Needs and Disabilities at Featherstone Academy
Featherstone Academy places great importance to meet the needs of ALL children and young people in our school.
Featherstone Academy provides an inclusive, broad and balanced curriculum for all children including those with special educational needs. Some children will require additional help and support to access the curriculum and fully participate in learning either throughout or at any time during their school life. In implementing this policy, the learning needs of each child will be met.
At Featherstone Academy we will meet the individual needs of all children entering our school. We will set suitable learning challenges for different groups of pupils and respond to pupil’s adverse needs and overcome potential barriers to learning.
Continued professional development amongst teachers, learning support assistants and other relevant school staff will be ongoing in order to ensure they have the required skills and understanding to meet the needs and raise the standards of achievement of all children.
Partnership with parents plays a key role in enabling children with special educational needs to achieve their full potential. The school recognises that parents hold key information and have knowledge and experience to contribute to the shared view of a child’s needs and the best ways of supporting them.
Children with special educational needs will be encouraged to participate in the decision making process and contribute to the assessment of their needs, the review and transition process.
- To identify all children who may have an educational, social, emotional or behavioural concerns or indeed a combination of some or all of these concerns as early as possible in their school development.
- To ensure that all children are given appropriate support to allow a full access and entitlement to the whole school curriculum, by providing a differentiated curriculum appropriate to individual needs and ability.
- To ensure that children with Special Educational Needs are fully integrated within the everyday school environment through individual support for teaching and learning.
- That children, parents, teaching and non-teaching staff and governors all work together in order to develop a partnership of support for children with special educational needs.
- All school staff fully support the principle of inclusion.
Please click here to see FEATHERSTONE ACADEMY SCHOOL INFORMATION OFFER 2018/2019
Additional support can be found by following the links below.
Information, support and services for children and young people aged 0-25 with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
Details of the Staffordshire Local Offer can also be found on the Staffordshire Connects Link.
Staffordshire Family Partnership is now to be known as SENDIASS which is an information, advice and support service for families with SEND